Event Archive - ROCKET FROM RUSSIA FEST: You Big Idiot, The Corps, Contra Code, , Ellesmere, AANTHEMS, Shockload, , , ,,
Friday July 21 / Saturday July 22
@ The Media Club, Vancouver.
Hello Hello Hello! I'm excited to announce a 2-day festival and a celebration of great local punk rock music this summer.
Every summer I've been doing Rocket From Russia anniversary shows but this year there were so many great bands I wanted to be part of this celebration so I decided to spread it over 2 nights. And this is how this fest came about. The line up features all the greats from Vancouver punk scene and its fantastic:
Isotopes Punk Rock Baseball Club
The Isotopes released a great second studio album "1994 World Series Champions" on Stomp Records, toured Europe and Canada this year, shot a super cool video, but of course their biggest highlight of this year is headlining Rocket From Russia Fest. It ain’t a party ’til your pants have been destroyed
YOU BIG IDIOT
This band is the most enterntaning band on the Vancouver punk scene. Every show is a performance full of humor, costumes, stage banter and great songs. Their new album "Megadonair" will be out this year and it's gonna be great.
When 75% of your band plays in The Real McKenzies and remaining 25% runs the best bar in East Van you must be good. Well The Corps are good, actually they are great. Their songs are fast, catchy, great melodies and about comics.
Their debut album "Wasted Already" came out on Bird Attack Records last year and got great reviews all over the world. Contra Code shred crazy style and even have solos, how about that?
Another great local punk band which features Marco of The Dreadnoughts and a super charismatic frontsuperman Ben. They played Pouzza FEST and shared stage with SNFU, Leftover Crack, The Flatliners and even The Greatest Sons!
Ellesmere don't play shows that often so it's your once in a life time opportunity to hear their super hit "Man Horse" performed live without any mistakes at Rocket From Russia Fest.
There are only two people in Aanthems, both borthers to each other, but they make it sound like there is an army of brothers which is playing their great songs. It's fascinating to watch Ryan play bass.
Russian Tim and Pavel Bures
We'll play you some Russian songs
First time caller, long time listener. Ryan told me numerous times that Shockload should play one of Rocket From Russia shows. I finally agreed with him and here we are. Also, they have an EP called "No Big d" and every single song start with a "d". How cool is that?
The Dead Hits
One of many bands which features Rich Lowe of The Greatest Sons. This time he plays guitar and baseball.
This is a relatively new band in Vancouver. This year they released a great EP called "Welcome Mat". I heard it and loved, then saw them live and decided that they must be a part of this festival. Actually it was the other way around, I saw them first at SBC and then heard the EP. But who cares, they are great regardless of the order of my introduction to their beautiful music.
New exciting band on Vancouver punk scene. They bribed me by giving me their shirt and got me drunk on PBRs at Pub340, so it was an easy choice.
As ever, Lachlan and Ross will have their table with great punk records set up for your purchase and flipping opportunities.
The Media Club
Weekend Pass - $20 (both nights)
Single ticket - $15 (at the door)
Spotify playlist for the Fest - https://open.spotify.com/user/rocketfromrussia/playlist/5ZipOQwsbXuz56mbLVsgJz
Sponsored by CiTR Radio 101.9FM, BeatRoute (BC), East Van Baseball League, Intergalactic Interviews.
Poster by: Combination13 http://www.combination13.com