St James' Church
St James’ Church is a unique building designed by Adrian Gilbert Scott, the brother of Giles Gilbert Scott who designed for iconic British red telephone box. The heritage building from 1936 is a combination of Art Deco, Romanesque Revival, Byzantine Revival, and Gothic Revival architecture. It seats around 300, has a baby grand piano, and a three-manual, 31-rank Casavant Frères pipe organ. Its remarkable acoustics are ideal for voice, choir, and chamber ensembles.
You will find us at the corner of Cordova Street & Gore Avenue in Vancouver, kitty-corner from the Firehall Arts Centre. We are just north-east of Main & Hastings, immediately north of Vancouver’s Historic Chinatown district with its many interesting Chinese restaurants and stores.
- There is metered parking on both Cordova St & Gore Ave (9am-10pm). After 6pm, patrons can park at a two-hour meter, and can pay for four continuous hours using the PayByPhone mobile app or by phone 604-909-PARK (604-909-7275)
- A block east from St James has free two-hour street parking
- There is a parking lot on Cordova Street, right across from St James, between Cooper Place and St James’ Place buildings. Access it by the alley from either Dunlevy or Gore Streets.
- Another parking lot may be found on the corner of Powell & Gore Street
- An Impark Lot is at the corner of Main & Powell (behind the No. 5 Orange)
- Easy Park : 107 East Cordova (NE corner of Cordova & Columbia) one block west of Main Street
- The following bus routes stop within several blocks of St James’ : 3 Main, 4 Powell, 7 Nanaimo/Dunbar, 8 Fraser, 16 Arbutus, 19 Stanley Park, and 20 Downtown
- The closest Skytrain station is Main Street/Science World. Connect with the 3, 8, or 19 bus heading north, disembark at Pender & Main, cross Main, walk two blocks north to Cordova, turn right and walk one block to Gore.
Listing last confirmed: Jul. 16, 2018